A short while ago I set out to more properly distribute and balance the RAM I have available between my servers.
I originally had 24GB of unregistered RAM in the Dell R510, which I have running 24/7. In another —since sold— spare server I had 32GB of registered memory, which didn't really make a lot of sense. So I set out to swap them around, but ran into a few road blocks along the way that led me to also re-configure the RAM in my development server. In the end, I had three pretty decently configured servers, although my development server could benefit from two more 8GB sticks, but I think I did about as well as I could with the parts I had available.
The end result, as of the time of producing this video, is as followed:
|"Kokkiri" Dell R510||"Dengdengi" Development Server||"Mongmongi" Spare Server (sold)|
|6x 4GB DDR3-10600R 2Rx4||2x 8GB DDR3-10600R 2Rx4||6x DDR3-12800U 1Rx8|
|2x 4GB DDR3-10600R 1Rx4||4x 4GB DDR3-10600R 2Rx4|
|4x 4GB DDR3-10600R 2Rx8|
|Total 32GB RAM||Total 48GB RAM||Total 24GB RAM|
It was good I (finally) went through and did this, and while nothing too exciting happens doing something like this, I do hope some of you might enjoy watching this little bit of homelab maintenance.